frequent windows crashes, especially with plotting?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: frequent windows crashes, especially with plotting?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 11:19:04 -0400

The reason for asking is that Octave 5.2.0 on windows crashes
frequently, especially when using plotting. During development it is
easily possible to request plots that go into a loop and hang. Ctrl-C
is ineffective at that point and the only solution is to use the task
manager to kill Octave and restart it.

This is actually a separate important issue.  I've been running Octave on Windows and very rarely suffer crashes like you describe.  I've edited the subject line to start a separate thread on the discussion. Could you provide feedback on the following:

- Can you summarize what you're doing that results in frequent crashes? Is it repeatable?

- Are you ever getting an actual 'crash' that exits without your intervention, or is it always a program 'hang' where everything becomes unresponsive?

- We've previously seen issues where windows plotting can take an inordinate amount of time.  Have you ever waited a long time to see if control returns?

- Did you install Octave from the executable or one of the zip-packages? if teh latter did you follow the post-install instructions?