Fwd/Re: object2json in octave package "io"

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Fwd/Re: object2json in octave package "io"
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 19:03:35 +0200

Hi Ketan,

Ketan Patel wrote:
Hello Philip,

I'm looking at the `object2json` function in the `io` package and it needs work.   If you are interested in upgrading it, I have a more complete alternative (`toJSON.m`) as well as a matching fast, json reader (`fromJSON.m`).

In dev Octave we now have jsonencode and jsondecode functions which AFAICS are superior to object2json. I'll keep object2json in the io package fora while, to cater for users who have older Octave versions.

In the mean time if you have JSON encode/decode functions that are better than what is now in io I'm interested.
* Don't use the names jsonencode and jsondecode.
* Be sure they're no depending on external libreries, just native Octave code. * At some time in the future the JSON functions in the io package will be deprecated. But that could take a few years ... * I'm not going to maintain them, that's up to you as author and maybe other volunteers. As package maintainer I'm just the first to make sure the package works, its functions have adequate documentation and no severe bugs.

On another note:
*Please do not email maintainers directly* [1], just upload your functions to the patch tracker, from there I and possibly other contributors/developers will look at them.

Thanks,

Philip

[1] It's no capital crime :-) Rather, Octave is an open and transparent project and private emails hamper other people from contributing effectively. So, email to the help list, maybe the maintainer list, if possible post at the Octave forums at Discourse.