help-rcs

Different views with RCS?

From: Vibhu AV
Subject: Different views with RCS?
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:33:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

After a brief evaluation of rcs and sccs, we decided to go
with rcs. But I would like to know if it is possible to "simulate"
different views for different users in rcs. At least a elementary
version would be useful. Let me explain:

Let's say I have a file a.c in directory path P1 under rcs. We always
keep the archive under P1/RCS. I can have a read-only version of
a.c under P1 for all to see.

User U1 should be able to "co -l" a.c into another directory P2
and edit it. The editions will be transparent to user U2 because
a.c is being edited in directory P2 and the public view is in P1.
Once U1 is happy with the editions, he/she can update it into P1
and maybe publish it. At that time we can do a "co -u" in P1 so that
others can see the latest version. In addition, while U1 has checked
out a.c, others should not be allowed to check it out.

I think sccs allows you to do so. With sccs, one can co a archived
file into another directory, for example P2 and update it into
P1 later. With rcs, you cannot co a.c anywhere else other than its
original location, P1. I tried to create a soft link to P1/RCS in P2
but that did not work. Do you have any suggestion on how to do what
I am trying?

Thanks.....
--
Vibhu Veerabadrappa                     empowerTel Networks
mailto:address@hidden             475 Sycamore Drive