help-rcs

Re: Win32 RCS, Unix EOL

From: Lee Boekelheide
Subject: Re: Win32 RCS, Unix EOL
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:59:27 -0800

Attached is a zip with several files in it:

  foo.txt      file with clobbered data in it
  rcs/
    foo.txt    RCS master file, clobbered
    before/
      foo.txt  RCS master file, before being clobbered

I created the rcs file, with
  rcs -i -L foo.txt
and then checked in the first version:
  ci -l foo.txt

I then replicated one of the paragraphs in the file and checked it in
again, making version 1.2:
  ci -l foo.txt

I then copied the master rcs file from rcs/foo.txt to
rcs/before/foo.txt, and then removed the replicated paragraph, changed
the eol to Unix (prior to this it had all been DOS) and checked it in
again:
  rcs -u foo.txt

I removed foo.txt and fetched version 1.3:
  co -u foo.txt

The result is what's in the zip.  In the 1.3 file, what should have been

  The RCS file and the working version were damaged beyond repair.  (I had
  a recent-enough backup.)

turned into

  The RCS file and the working version were damaged beyond repair.  (I had
  a recenrepair.  (I had
  a recent-enough backup.)

The master rcs file has the same problem in it.

The version I'm running is very close to the one currently downloadable.

--Lee

--
  Lee Boekelheide                           voice:  +1 503 968 1270 x11
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.              fax:  +1 503 968 1773