help-rcs

Re: version numbering

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: version numbering
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Balbir,

I too recall trying to force RCS to mimic its revision numbering system
with the version numbering system I desired.  Unfornutately, in RCS the
trunk revisions must be started with the form of 1.3, and branches of
1.3.1.1.  The purpose of the revision numbering system is to match the
revision making process, not the version numbering system of software
releases.

For more on revision numbering see rcsintro(1):

 $ man rcsintro

Fortunately, RCS gives the -n (and -N) option as an alternative for
logging version number information.  See rcs(1) for more info.

If you have a trunk revision numbered 1.3, you could do this for releasing
version 1.3.0:

 $ ci -nPabla_1_3_0 -f1.3.0.1 -tdescription.txt *.ftn90 <log.txt

and this for creating version 1.3.1:

 $ ci -nPabla_1_3_1 1.3.1.1 -tdescription.txt *.ftn90 <log.txt

/a