help-rcs

Re: Configure RCS in Solaris..

From: Hugh Sasse
Subject: Re: Configure RCS in Solaris..
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:48:34 +0000 (WET)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Chuah Yin wrote:

> hi rcs help team,
>
> i'm christine here.. i'm new to rcs and solaris. i've
> tried to configure and install rcs-5.7 in solaris 5.8
> but encountered several problems.. i've downloaded the
> rcs-5.7 tar file and save it to /usr/src. according to

Is /usr/src really where you want to do this?
I'd suggest that you probably want to build somewhere else, such as
within your home directory, or some other directory all admins know
about for builds, and once you have successfully built move the
sources (or unpack them afresh) in $PREFIX/src or $PREFIX/share/src.

With GNU software $PREFIX usually defaults to /usr/local, and
that way GNU make, awk, as, ... don't overwrite the solaris
versions of themselves.

Anyway, getting to the main point:

> the basic instruction guide, i should go to the
> directory containing the source code and type
> ./configure. however, it can't do the trick.. i cd to
> the /usr/src/rcs-5.7/SRC and then type ./configure, it
> prompted me - ./configure not found..

When you extract from the tarfile for some package foo-9.87.tar
you will get, conventionally, a foo-9.87 directory.  Then

cd foo-9.87
./configure && gmake && gmake check
su
[ password entry, cd to the foo-9.87 dir again]
gmake install

will usually do the trick.  So you want to be in rcs-5.7,
(or /usr/src/rcs-5.7) not in rcs-5.7/SRC.

gmake is GNU make -- you'll need to make a symlink if it isn't there:

cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s make gmake
ls -l /usr/local/bin/gmake
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other          4 Mar  9  2004 /usr/local/bin/gmake ->
make

It's a good idea because having a different name from Sun's make
simplifies things considerably, for example when make sets the value of
$MAKE for recursive makes..  ./configure will look for gmake.

> really hope that can get some help and instruction
> from you.. Any helps is highly appreciated.
>
> Thank you so much..
>
> Best Regards,
>
> christine

        HTH