help-recutils

Re: [help-recutils] Select records by number

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [help-recutils] Select records by number
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:16:19 +0100

    >     For the a random record I use this in my script:
    >
    > I am curious: what are you using the random selection feature for?  A
    > file with fortune cookies?  The message of the day?

    Are you read my mind ;)
    You're right, I use random to select a random quote with conky on my
    root window.

    rec file is more simple, human friendly, scalable and editable than
    fortune (you don't have to use strfile).

Actually it is a shame fortune is not using plain text files.  Shall we
contact them to ask them to use recfiles instead? :)

    Waiting the next version with impatience.

It will come soon.

    Do you plan to have multiple fileds sort ?

    %sort: field1, field2 ...

Hm, that would introduce some difficulties due to the ability of records
to directly contain 1-N relationships:

Foo: foo
Bar: bar
Bar: baz

Foo: another foo
Bar: another bar
Bar: zzz

How would you sort that?  Alternatively you can use several calls to
recsel with several -S.

--
Jose E. Marchesi         http://www.jemarch.net
GNU Project              http://www.gnu.org