help-recutils

[recfmt] clarification request re: string manipulation in templates

From: Matthew Graybosch
Subject: [recfmt] clarification request re: string manipulation in templates
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 13:40:50 -0400

I have a question regarding section 14.1 of the recutils manual (located at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/recutils/manual/Templates.html>). At the end it
says, "You can use any selection expression in the slots, including
conditionals and string concatenation.”

Can anybody point me to documentation explaining how to apply selection
expressions to recfmt template slots? I’m particularly interested in substrings
at the moment; given a date like "2022-04-29T23:15:03-04:00” I’d like to
retrieve the first ten characters for a result of “2022-04-29”.

Thanks.

—
Matthew Graybosch
https://matthewgraybosch.com