help-shishi

Re: shishi-0.0.30.pot file

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: shishi-0.0.30.pot file
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:11:34 +0200

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Simon,
>
> The shishi-0.0.30.pot file that was sent to the translators does not have
> line numbers referring to the source files.
>
> Some PO file editors can show the translator the source code context, to
> help her in the translations. (Example: Kbabel, or Emacs PO mode's 's'
> command.)
>
> Would you mind enabling this facility for translators? It only costs you
> to remove the --no-location option from po/Makevars.

Hi Bruno.  Actually, to cost for me is higher, and those costs are what
prompted me to use --no-location in the first place.

Right now, I keep the *.po files in CVS (or Git), and often when I make
code changes, the *.po file changes too, modifying the line numbers.  I
don't know whether to commit the modified files or not to cvs.
Committing them will lead to an extremely large amount of silly commits
to my source base in *.po, just changing line numbers.  Using
--no-location removes most of the superfluous mofications.

I suppose the problem is that the *.po files really are a combination of
hand-maintained text and auto-generated material.  It would be nice to
separate the two somehow, so that I don't have to store auto-generated
stuff in VC.

I have considered not putting *.po into VC at all, but instead having
*.po.in or similar in VC, copied to *.po before autoreconf is run.  The
step could involve adding the line numbers, so that the released archive
contains proper *.po that translators can use.  I don't know how to
implement this though.

Is there some guidelines on how to use *.po with CVS?  There is a
section on CVS issues in the gettext manual, but I couldn't find
anything related to the *.po files.

/Simon