Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: problems with 1.8.4.... I got it

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: problems with 1.8.4.... I got it
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:52:15 +0100 (CET)

> 6. look at the code I sent you in my last mail: to do the
> multiplication .umul was called who called some code in the
> _PROCEDURE_LINKAGE_TABLE who tried to call a function at address
> 0xef7c2f7c. Unfortunately this call falls in the region which you
> mapped on /dev/zero!!!!

Why should it jump to a fixed address??? I never saw anything like that,
shared libraries *must* be relocatable (position-independent) for their
very nature! And if a shared library was mapped there, Solaris should not
have allowed me to map my heap, should it?

And moreover, why does the Sun compiler get it right?  MMAP_BASE does not
change when you use it... I'm puzzled...