Re: [Help-smalltalk] gst, xlib and stix

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] gst, xlib and stix
Date: 22 Oct 2001 09:20:33 +1000

"address@hidden"<address@hidden> writes:

> The UnixStream class that "stix" used is in fact very similar to
> FileDescriptor in GNU Smalltalk 1.95.5 (it first percolated to TCP
> and then to the kernel, with 1.95.5); you can probably adapt
> the module from old versions and pass the file descriptor
> that it gets hold of to a FileDescriptor.

I think I had a go at that, but got further with a Socket.  This was a
couple of months ago.

> However, I don't see good reasons to write yet another GUI
> and widget toolkit entirely in Smalltalk.

Yes, quite so.  It was instead low level X things that had prompted
me.  Various window managers are a bit dodgy in various areas, like
event handling during drags, and I got the urge to try something
minimal myself.  C is a bit too much like hard work for such things,
if any sort of configurability is going to exist, hence nosing around
gst (and guile-xlib and elk), despite not really being fluent in
smalltalk (or scheme).