Re: [Help-smalltalk] directory creation mode

From: Alexander Lazarevic
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] directory creation mode
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:56:49 +0200

Clemens,

> that doesn't say anything about the sticky bit, which was what i was
> talking about.  mkdir uses some set of the permission-bits, but checking
> them doesn't proove anything.

at least it proves what bits get set by mkdir for newly created directories.
If you have a look at the source code of mkdir, which I had before I wrote
the last mail, you will see that indeed the mode for newly created
directories is S_IRWXUGO without the sticky bit. So if one would follow your
arguments mkdir is a hell of an insecure program, because it lets user create
directories, which are world read-/write-/accessable, if the umask is 0, and
it doesn't set the sticky bit! Good gracious! ;-)

You are missing the point if you think it's about the sticky bit. It is about
the initial permissions a directory should have. And as a guidline I looked
at what mkdir does and I believe that is what everybody expects on a unix
like system.

> this is the smalltalk usage, i was talking about upper layer filesystem
> semantics, which would be located beneith smalltalk.

primCreate:mode: is the C-Callout for the system function mkdir(const char
*pathname, mode_t mode).

> this is common semantics also in linux systems.

Again, and I don't want to get any deeper into this, it is not about the the
sticky bit nor its semantics!

Have fun,
Alex
--
"My son is not a communist! He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a
communist, but he is NOT a porn star!" -- Grampa