Re: [Help-smalltalk] Porting of 2.0.3 to freebsd

From: clemens fischer
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Porting of 2.0.3 to freebsd
Date: 26 Jul 2002 15:16:38 +0200

> Fritz Heinrichmeyer:

> Hmm, i can collect garbage, but the class browser is broken and
> namespace browser behaves strange. I used a selfmade image. Yesterday i
> played with the original image. Something simply does not work.  Btw. is
> TclTk still a moving target, we were bored here in the end by alwas
> having to update tcltk scripts or archiving the versions with the
> scripts.

i try to avoid tcl/tk, although i think i've dome everything to get it
compatible to the typical linux-installation, by replacing wish with
wish8.3 and linking header and library files so that configure scripts can
find them, but no go.  i have always to specify their locations manually.
same with iconv.

> The web server works sort of until i want to look at my
> public_html. Then it eats up all memory and does nothing .

i did not try the web-server, but i imagine the focus will always be on
swiki.  you should try to get that up first.

> Something is definitely not OK here.

yes.  unfortunately.  did you try those other smalltalk versions most
people use, which only run with GUIs and one doesn't get source (don't
remember the name ...).  then there's squeak.  last time i tried that i was
impressed by the features, but it froze when i clicked on an image.

clemens