[Help-smalltalk] Running Blox samples...

From: fgonthier
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Running Blox samples...
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:43:07 -0500 (EST)

Hello, I've been told by Paolo Bonzini on comp.lang.smalltalk that I could
write here.  I've tried to subscribe to help-smalltalk but I got no answers
whatsoever so I thought it may not be a mailing list after all.

Here is my problem, has written on comp.lang.smalltalk:

>>   Now I'd like to try and do some neat GUI programming using GNU
>> Smalltalk and Blox but I'm stuck with a stupid problem.  The only
>> examples of Blox programming are found in the samples of GNU Smalltalk
>> (I couldn't find any on the web) but I just can't get them to run!
>> Every time I try to do:
>>
>>   gst -qK examples/blox/Tetris.st -a Tetris play ! (or similar
>> commands lines)
>
>gst -q
>FileStream fileIn: '/usr/share/gnu-smalltalk/examples/blox/Tetris.st'!
>Tetris play!
>
>(command-line completion makes that a lot less painful than it looks!)
>or
>
>gst -qK examples/blox/Tetris.st -
>Tetris play!
>
>-a passes command-line arguments, not scripts to be executed.  Try
>
>gst -a one two
>Smalltalk arguments printNl!

Doesn't work :((

I tried both ways and it always say: Tetris undefined variable, or something
like that...

>>   I get no error message but nothing at all gets displayed.  If I
>> shutdown my X server and try that same command line, I get a message
>> saying that it wasn't able to connect to the server, which probably
>> means it tries to connect.
>
>It tries every time GNU Smalltalk is started, if Blox is loaded.
>
>Ahem, btw, Tetris is probably suffering from bit-rot, I haven't played
>Smalltalk tetris for about two years...
>
>Also, if you liked the Blox browser you might want to take a look at
>2.0c or 2.0d, which are overall much better (the inspectors and the
>walkbacks, for example) and give an idea of what the 2.1 UI will be.
>In 2.1 the browser *will* be useful for programming and not only for
>browsing -- that's a promise.

Well, I'd like to try but where is it?  Smalltalk 2.07?  Other beta or alpha
version?

>2.0c and 2.0d also have a Smalltalk mode for Emacs, and a cooler
>interface for running the gst command line under Emacs.

I'm a VIM fan.  I have yet to learn to live Emacs ;)

>Finally, you might also try posting to address@hidden

Since I've got no clue where this message will go, please sent replies to
address@hidden