Re: [Help-smalltalk] Error handling/checking, exceptions in general

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Error handling/checking, exceptions in general
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:40:37 +0100

> I have to admit that I'm not too read up on how much the ANSI standard
> dictates. Is the standard available online somewhere?

Hmmm... search for "draft smalltalk ansi standard" on Google! and/or
Google!Groups and you should find it.  I have it in M$Word and PDF formats.

> > This is in my to-do list, though it is broken enough that I have not
done it
> > yet.

Ugh! sorry, it is "boring enough that I have not done it yet" :-)

> Right, that's basically all I'm after. Nothing more advanced than that.
> The difficult part is probably to find all the places where exceptions
> are thrown

At start, just look for `self error:'.

> I.e., it's mostly
> mechanical work after a suitable exception hiearchy is decided on.

It might be enough to only have the abstract class.

> > Only, you'll have to sign papers.  They'll arrive at your home if you
> > privately mail me your snail address.
>
> Not a problem although I must admin you have totally lost me here :) Why
> would submitting patches to GNU Smalltalk require signing papers?

Because that way you give your copyright to the FSF.

> Btw, is there a public CVS/SVN/whatever repository, or are the tarballs
> the authorative source?

Yes, they are.  At least the socket part had practically no change in the
development version (this would be the first); the authoritative source are
the development tarballs at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk, but for this
particular task you can use the stable ones as well.