Re: [Help-smalltalk] Blox - Gtk

From: Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Blox - Gtk
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:24:40 +0100

> > Check if you can handle Gtk events manually, before
> > trying all this.
>
> I think you can, but there is quite a lot of
> initialization and cleanup code in gtk_main, and modal
> dialogs (for example) are implemented by making a
> nested gtk_main call, it seems, which might cause
> grief.

No need to use them -- we can fake them in Smalltalk just like Blox/Tk does
(it puts the process that started the modal loop waiting on a Semaphore, and
signals the semaphore when the modal dialog goes away).  I like very much
the heavy usage of processes in the 2.1 Blox/Tk (that's also where
VisualWorks is moving to and what ST/X has been doing for ages*), it
simplifies a lot of tasks.

Paolo

*actually they use a dispatching process per window; gst has a single
dispatching process and a single process per event