Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problems compiling 2.1.1

From: Roberto Amorim
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Problems compiling 2.1.1
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 01:27:31 -0300

> Hello All,

Hi Jan...

> I tried to compile version 2.1.1 but couldn't. This was a bit surprising
> because 2.1 compiled flawlessly. This is on Suse Linux 7.3 with  gcc
version
> 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE). I tried adding flags like -ansi but that didn't
seem
> to matter.
>
> The errors that Make gave started with:
>
> In file included from gstpriv.h:462,
>                  from interp.c:36:
> input.h:104: parse error before `('
> input.h:110: parse error before `('
> input.h:115: parse error before `('
> input.h:121: parse error before `('
(...)

I found the same error when compiling on FreeBSD 4.8 on i386, gcc 2.95.3.
After some research and some talking with pb, I've found it's some sort of
bug with gcc 2.X. To compile successfully, look for a macro definition on
the ansidecl.h file (under the libgst dir, IIRC - I don't have the source
code ready here) with the code "__attribute__ (x)" and remove the space,
turning it into "__attribute__(x)".

That should enable you to compile it. If for some reason you don't find it,
I'll be happy to post a patch here later, as soon as I have access to my
FreeBSD box again.

Please post here if that solves your problem (or if it doesn't).