[Help-smalltalk] Re: broken GNU smalltalk behavior? tutorial?

From: Kurt Alan Steinkraus
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: broken GNU smalltalk behavior? tutorial?
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:52:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Bonzini wrote:
> I cannot reproduce this, the tutorial's report is ok and is what I get:
<snip>
> You can email me or, better, address@hidden

OK, I'm emailing address@hidden  I'll include my original program
at the end of this email, in case it goes to a wider distribution list...

> > It seems that the problem might be something like that the new body for
> > the printNl method of Account isn't getting loaded properly after the
> > original (empty?)
>
> Actually, it is inherited from Object and it is what is invoked by `super
> printOn:
> stream' in the redefined method.  printOn: is the actual engine for printNl.
>
> Indeed there is a cache, but every compilation empties it.  If you want to be
> sure,
> just fire gdb and set a breakpoint on _gst_invalidate_method_cache (don't
> worry if you
> get SIGSEGVs, they are handled internally, just type `c' or do `handle SIGSEGV
> noprint').

I did that, and indeed _gst_invalidate_method_cache gets called; in fact,
it gets called a lot, seemingly after every completed statement, and three
times in a row sometimes.

> Are you sure you did not mistype anything?  Just for the record, I did
> cut&paste from
> your e-mail and it worked:

I cut and pasted it too, just to make sure I wasn't mistyping anything,
and I got the erratic behavior.  One thing my setup might have different
from yours is that I haven't run "make install" yet, but seeing as how gst
runs almost everything correctly, that shouldn't seem to make a
difference.

As far as my exact setup goes: I'm running Debian testing/unstable on a
PIII laptop.  I downloaded GNU smalltalk 2.1.2, I configured the system
using
  ./configure --enable-gtk --enable-jit
and I've included the configuration output below.  If you're interested in
any of the versions of system libraries or things I have, I'll be happy to
supply them.  (If it would be easier, I could even give you a temporary
account on my laptop so you can ssh over and see what's up for yourself?)

Thanks; sorry about the problem being non-repro for you.

--Kurt

--
Kurt Steinkraus --- address@hidden --- http://kurtas.ai.mit.edu/
PGP fingerprint: 5BD0 9051 F0F8 0185 47A8  3817 32C7 B468 5C22 CC21

----------

Original program:
        Object subclass: #Account
            instanceVariableNames: 'balance'
            classVariableNames: ''
            poolDictionaries: ''
            category: nil !
       !Account class methodsFor: 'instance creation'!
        new
            | r |
            r := super new.
            r init.
            ^r
        ! !
        !Account methodsFor: 'instance initialization'!
        init
            balance := 0
        ! !
        Smalltalk at: #a put: (Account new) !
        a printNl !                            "This line causes problems!"
        !Account methodsFor: 'printing'!
        printOn: stream
            super printOn: stream.
            stream nextPutAll: ' with balance: '.
            balance printOn: stream
        ! !
The tutorial then has you type:
        a printNl !
and expects the following result:
        an Account with balance: 0
but what is actually printed out is:
        an Account
However, if the first line "a printNl !" is removed (the one right after a
is created), then the behavior is as expected, printing out the balance.

----------

Output of ./configure --enable-gtk --enable-jit:

checking for gawk... gawk

Build Tools:
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for AIX... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for install-info... /usr/sbin/install-info
checking for emacs... emacs
checking where .elc files should go... ${datadir}/emacs/site-lisp
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... no
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool

Platform environment:
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
checking for inline... inline
checking for working volatile... yes
checking for restrict... __restrict__
checking for goto void *... yes
checking builtin preprocessor symbol set... "__STDC__", "__i386", "__i386__",
"__linux__", "__unix", "i386", "linux", "unix",
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking for int... yes
checking size of int... 4
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... 4
checking for off_t... yes
checking size of off_t... 8
checking for char *... yes
checking size of char *... 4
checking for double... yes
checking size of double... 8
checking for double alignment... 4
checking for long double... yes
checking size of long double... 12
checking for long double alignment... 4

C library features:
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... none required
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking sys/utsname.h usability... yes
checking sys/utsname.h presence... yes
checking for sys/utsname.h... yes
checking stropts.h usability... yes
checking stropts.h presence... yes
checking for stropts.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking stddef.h usability... yes
checking stddef.h presence... yes
checking for stddef.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking sys/timeb.h usability... yes
checking sys/timeb.h presence... yes
checking for sys/timeb.h... yes
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking sys/mman.h usability... yes
checking sys/mman.h presence... yes
checking for sys/mman.h... yes
checking sys/file.h usability... yes
checking sys/file.h presence... yes
checking for sys/file.h... yes
checking execinfo.h usability... yes
checking execinfo.h presence... yes
checking for execinfo.h... yes
checking sys/wait.h usability... yes
checking sys/wait.h presence... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for working memcmp... yes
checking for obstacks... yes
checking for atan in -lm... yes
checking for putenv... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strsignal... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for mkstemp... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for getdtablesize... yes
checking for poll... yes
checking for dup2... yes
checking for strstr... yes
checking for ftruncate... yes
checking for floorl... yes
checking for ceill... yes
checking for sqrtl... yes
checking for frexpl... yes
checking for ldexpl... yes
checking for asinl... yes
checking for acosl... yes
checking for atanl... yes
checking for logl... yes
checking for expl... yes
checking for tanl... yes
checking for sinl... yes
checking for cosl... yes
checking for gethostname... yes
checking for memcpy... yes
checking for sighold... yes
checking for uname... yes
checking for sbrk... yes
checking for usleep... yes
checking for grantpt... yes
checking for popen... yes
checking for getrusage... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for getcwd... yes
checking for fork... yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for sigsetmask... yes
checking for alarm... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for mprotect... yes
checking for madvise... yes
checking for nl_langinfo... yes
checking for waitpid... yes
checking for setsid... yes
checking for spawnl... no
checking for working strtoul... yes
checking whether localtime caches the timezone... no

Auxiliary libraries:
checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yes
checking for iconv... yes
checking for iconv declaration...
         extern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t *inbytesleft,
char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);
checking how to link with GMP... -lgmp
checking for mp_limb_t... yes
checking size of mp_limb_t... 4
checking for tclsh... /usr/bin/tclsh
checking for Tcl 8.x... no
checking for Tk 8.x... no
checking the include path for Tcl/Tk 8.x... not found
checking how to link with Tcl/Tk 8.x... not found
checking how to link with readline... not found
checking for listen... yes
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking arpa/inet.h usability... yes
checking arpa/inet.h presence... yes
checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
checking gdbm.h usability... no
checking gdbm.h presence... no
checking for gdbm.h... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
checking lightning.h usability... no
checking lightning.h presence... no
checking for lightning.h... no

Output substitutions:
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating gnu-smalltalk.spec
config.status: creating gst-config
config.status: creating gst-package
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating lib-src/Makefile
config.status: creating libgst/Makefile
config.status: creating lightning/Makefile
config.status: creating config/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating blox-tk/Makefile
config.status: creating examples/Makefile
config.status: creating i18n/Makefile
config.status: creating kernel/Makefile
config.status: creating tcp/Makefile
config.status: creating blox-gtk/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: linking ./lightning/i386/asm.h to lightning/asm.h
config.status: linking ./lightning/i386/core.h to lightning/core.h
config.status: linking ./lightning/i386/fp.h to lightning/fp.h
config.status: linking ./lightning/i386/funcs.h to lightning/funcs.h
configure: configuring in libltdl
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local '--enable-gtk'
'--enable-jit' --enable-ltdl-convenience --enable-subdir
--enable-snprintfv-convenience --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
checking for gawk... gawk
[...]
checking whether gcc supports assert without backlinking...
checking which extension is used for shared libraries... .so
checking which variable specifies run-time library path... LD_LIBRARY_PATH
checking for the default library search path... /lib /usr/lib
checking for objdir... .libs
checking whether libtool supports -dlopen/-dlpreopen... yes
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for dlerror... yes
checking for _ prefix in compiled symbols... no
checking whether deplibs are loaded by dlopen... yes
checking argz.h usability... yes
checking argz.h presence... yes
checking for argz.h... yes
checking for error_t... yes
checking for argz_append... yes
checking for argz_create_sep... yes
checking for argz_insert... yes
checking for argz_next... yes
checking for argz_stringify... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking stdio.h usability... yes
checking stdio.h presence... yes
checking for stdio.h... yes
checking ctype.h usability... yes
checking ctype.h presence... yes
checking for ctype.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking dl.h usability... no
checking dl.h presence... no
checking for dl.h... no
checking sys/dl.h usability... no
checking sys/dl.h presence... no
checking for sys/dl.h... no
checking dld.h usability... no
checking dld.h presence... no
checking for dld.h... no
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for strchr... yes
checking for strrchr... yes
checking for memcpy... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for strcmp... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
configure: configuring in snprintfv
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local  '--enable-gtk'
'--enable-jit' --enable-ltdl-convenience --enable-subdir
--enable-snprintfv-convenience --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether runtime debugging is wanted... no
checking if malloc debugging is wanted... no
[...]
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for static inline... yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking wchar.h usability... yes
checking wchar.h presence... yes
checking for wchar.h... yes
checking for wchar_t... yes
checking for wint_t... yes
checking for working long double with more range or precision than double... yes
checking for intmax_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for log in -lm... yes
checking for copysign... yes
checking for copysignl... yes
checking for ldexpl... yes
checking for frexpl... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating snprintfv/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing snprintfv/compat.h commands
creating snprintfv/compat.h
snprintfv/compat.h is unchanged
configure: configuring in sigsegv
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local  '--enable-gtk'
'--enable-jit' --enable-ltdl-convenience --enable-subdir
--enable-snprintfv-convenience --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.

Build Tools:
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking host platform... i686-pc-linux2.4.19-gnu-glibc2.3
[...]

Optional Platform Environment:
If something locks up here, please reconfigure with --disable-generational-gc
checking sys/signal.h usability... yes
checking sys/signal.h presence... yes
checking for sys/signal.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE)... yes
checking for PAGESIZE in limits.h... no
checking for mmap with MAP_ANON... yes
checking for mmap with MAP_ANONYMOUS... yes
checking for mmap of /dev/zero... yes
checking whether a fault handler according to POSIX works... yes
checking whether a fault handler according to Linux/i386 works... yes
checking whether a fault handler according to old Linux/i386 works... yes
checking whether a fault handler according to Linux/m68k works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to Linux/PowerPC works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to Linux/HPPA works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to BSD works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to IRIX works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to HP-UX HPPA works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to OSF/1 Alpha works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to AIX works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to MacOSX PowerPC works... no
checking whether a fault handler according to Hurd works... no
checking for the fault handler specifics... fault-linux-i386.h
checking if the system supports catching SIGSEGV... yes
checking for stack direction... grows down
checking for PIOCMAP in sys/procfs.h... no
checking for getrlimit... yes
checking for setrlimit... yes
checking for sigaltstack... yes
checking for stack_t... yes
checking for working sigaltstack... yes
checking if the system supports catching stack overflow... yes
checking whether a signal handler can be left through longjmp... yes
checking whether a signal handler can be left through longjmp and
sigaltstack... yes
checking whether a signal handler can be left through longjmp and setcontext...
yes
checking whether a signal handler can be left through siglongjmp... yes
checking whether a signal handler can be left through siglongjmp and
sigaltstack... yes
checking whether a signal handler can be left through siglongjmp and
setcontext... yes

Build Parameters:
checking whether to activate relocatable installation... no

Output Substitution:
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating src/sigsegv.h
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged

Now please type 'make' to compile. Good luck.