Re: [Help-smalltalk] Sandboxing gnu-smalltalk

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Sandboxing gnu-smalltalk
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:32:23 +0200

Reading through the documentation I didn't see anything about sandboxing. If there hasn't been any work on this, is this something I could easily do, or add? I can program a bit of C, but don't know much about VMs.

Most of the related stuff is already in place in 2.1e... I was planning to rip it away before 2.2 because it was just an experiment, but if you want to pick it up, I'll be happy.

The related files are security.c in libgst and Security.st in the kernel directory. The former is completely untested, but the latter is ok and the hooks inside the VM for establishing the trustedness of a class/method/object/execution context are already there.

The idea was that several methods (mentioned in the NEWS file) or primitives would check for various kinds of permissions.

I'm leaving soon, so I won't be able to help right now, but feel free to experiment (I'll be back at the beginning of August).