Re: [Help-smalltalk] Language Shootout GNU Smalltalk

From: Isaac Gouy
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Language Shootout GNU Smalltalk
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:28:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here is a tarball with some shootout programs for GNU Smalltalk.
> Please keep me posted.

Here's a mixture of those programs and some that I'd completed.
I've taken your implementations whenever they were faster, except:

hash - using LookupTable instead of Set is ~15% faster, but I've left
the implementation that uses Set for the moment;

sumcol - the test asked for built in functionality.

Which regexmatch implementation should be used?

Now we're just missing an implementation for Echo client-server.

best wishes, Isaac

*fyi* if I measured things right ;-)
hash2 - using associationAt: is ~35% faster
objinst, methcall - not subclassing ValueHolder is ~25-60% faster
sieve - using a loop instead of copy is about 30% faster
wc - caching Character space etc outside the loop is ~100% faster