Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk licensing

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk licensing
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:03:10 +0100

David Lázaro Saz wrote:
Hi there,

I've been using GNU Smalltalk for some time and found it very useful. It's a nice implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language. Thanks for your efforts.

I also have a question regarding licensing. The sources include both the GNU GPL and LGPL but it isn't specified what license applies to what files. Well, in fact I found that the various libgst files specify in their comments that they use the GPL. Is that the case? I hope not because then I won't be able to use GNU Smalltalk for a commercial project that I'm beginning to work in.

No, unless you modify the VM. The VM is under the General Public License, so modifications to it must be under the GPL. The base classes however is under the LGPL, so programs "linked" with them (i.e. in the same image) can be proprietary.

If you look closer, the GPL parts are identified as "part of GNU Smalltalk", the LGPL parts are identified as "part of the GNU Smalltalk class library".