Re: [Help-smalltalk] Some small patches (not net-related)

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Some small patches (not net-related)
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:23:36 +0000

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
It's quite old indeed: :-)

:*>

I could have sworn that they never worked before.

The Java bindings are another example - I notice a new directory has suddenly appeared, and in the meantime, everyone is getting excited on comp.lang.smalltalk about Smalltalk/JVM. OK, I realize that they do different things, but I still think that people would be very interested.

These are not in a released version, and are not ready from prime time until I can get them to load from a JAR file, at the very least. The configury should be checking for gcj and enabling them only if gcj is found.

Fair enough, I suppose, but you have released them in the development branch, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was curious about them.

Oh, and since I am writing about new things, here is something I've worked on lately:

1) I've improved pragmas so that you can write C calls like pragmas, e.g.

getenv: aString
   <cCall: 'getenv' returning: #string args: #(#string)>!

I like that - it means that in file-ins, C call methods will look more similar to regular methods.

2) I've rewritten the parser as recursive descent. I hope this allows us to design a scripting-like syntax, and depart from file-ins at last.

That also is very exciting.

I'm uploading (1) to the Arch repository right now.

Thanks for the patches.

Did you have an opinion on whether to use VW compatibility methods? I only ask because I would prefer not to have to change my source code when I next install a new version.

Regards,

Mike