Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam

From: LD
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:51:44 +1000

Hi again,

On 10/10/2005, at 4:39 PM, Stewart Stremler wrote:

quoting LD as of Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:54:51PM +1000:

Hello. Was this off-list, or has it not yet shown up on the list?

Woops, forgot to CC the list...

On 10/10/2005, at 11:09 AM, Stewart Stremler wrote:

quoting Bruce Badger as of Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:07:41AM +1000:

[snip]

There may be a few places where a GST user is told to just post to the
list address if they have a question or problem; requiring them to
subscribe might drive them away.

Small price to pay I'd say!
Most lists I know of require subscription for this very purpose.

Most of the lists I'm on have auto-post for members and require
moderator intervention for non-members, and the moderators can set
a rule to block offending addresses.

Well, there you go. I've lived a sheltered life :-)

(I'd just as soon block the IPs of offending addresses, as most of
the spam is also forged, but there's probably a DoS attack in there
somewhere...)

The simplest way is surely to test:
1) if either subscribed, or
2) first few posts for non-subscribers are delayed (checked by admin)

In both cases, blacklisted (harder than whitelists) if they start to become a source of spam.

More importantly, the level of spam that this list attracts might
drive away legitimate users. It's certainly made me think twice after
have subscribed and then getting inundated from then on (i.e., daily).

It's gotten worse, recently.

It's gotta go, please...

with regards,
--