Re: [Help-smalltalk] Scripting with gst

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Scripting with gst
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:33:36 +0100

a) the command line is a bit unwieldy - I'd want to specify an image
every time, and I'm more likely to want to pass parameters than I am to
execute more than one script.

b) the startup time is slower than I'd like for running one-liners and such.

(a) can be solved with a shell script, but (b) is harder. I've been
playing around with the idea of lazily starting a server and using a
very lightweight frontend to pass scripts and one-liners to it.
I'm interested, for 2.3, in making the startup time faster by modifying the image format. Your approach however is very interesting.

#basicPrint is meant for debugging, so it is not very interesting to make it write to a socket. (It is a primitive on purpose). It would be better to use dup2 to map the socket onto stderr.