Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK

From: David Given
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 01:04:35 +0100

Mike Anderson wrote:
[...]
> What I forgot to say earlier is that, while I think the bindings are
> very usable for small Gtk apps, if I was going to write a large Gtk
> application, I would have another go at improving the header parser.
> Currently there are quite a lot of things missing which are actually
> quite crucial, even though they don't appear so at first. I'm thinking
> of things like support for drag and drop.

You could always port SWIG; it already does this, autogenerating bindings for
Perl, PHP, Tcl, Ruby, Python, Java, Guile, Mzscheme, Chicken, Ocaml, Pike, and
C# (he says, cut and pasting from the Debian package description). It
shouldn't be hard to make it generate Smalltalk as well.

However, I'd strongly suggest going for something like wxWidgets instead of
GTK. That way you gain platform portability. GTK is nice and all, but you
really don't want to use it on Windows or OSX --- it runs, but looks dreadful.
wxWidgets will give you a consistent API with native look and feel on all
(supported) platforms.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)