[Help-smalltalk] Re: license issue(s)

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: license issue(s)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:44:11 +0100

 As I understand it, any code using vmProxy should be GPLed.

Yes.  So, to recap:

1) Smalltalk programs need not be GPL. This is even stated explicitly in the exception.

2) Clients of the virtual machine (i.e. programs that embed it, linking to libgst.a or otherwise getting the vmProxy) need to be GPL.

3) Bindings are a special case of (2), where you apply the same exception that will be soon applied to the VM.

What if I want to use GNU Smalltalk as an extension language for my
(non GPLed) app? Is it enough to provide just the source for the glue
code ?

You can, for sure, if you do not need glue code. In this case, the Smalltalk program can load the code of the application as a shared library and start the application from there. There is no need to link the application to the virtual machine.

If you do this with some glue code (so your application does not link to the VM directly, it's the bindings that link to *both* your application and the VM -- and you are the author of both bindings and applications, so you can license them as you wish; see also http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs), it may be possible; but IANAL, and this is surely a gray area.

However, this is against the very reason why the GNU Smalltalk virtual machine is GPL: because the embeddability of the virtual machine is one of the few aspects that distinguishes gst from proprietary implementations. In fact I would consider the first case a loophole: a perfectly acceptable one, but still a loophole.