[Help-smalltalk] Re: #flatten for seq-collections, #join: for collecti

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: #flatten for seq-collections, #join: for collection classes
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:01:44 +0200

Stephen Compall wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 07:03 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Very cool! However, what about just calling #join also the instance-side #flatten, and omitting the instance-side #flatten: (which is simpler to do with a class-side #join:)?

While coming up with a name for the instance-side (first #concatenate,
then #join as it happens, then #flatten), I thought it sounded too
general.  How about #joinAll?

It does sound general, but I don't see anything else it could mean...

Also, I was reading on monads recently and they call exactly this operation "join" (in that case, the contained items are supposed to be of the same kind of the cointainer -- but that's just a special case).

If you're not too negative, I'd rather keep the easy name.