Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU vs. Squeak vs. VW

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU vs. Squeak vs. VW
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:09:08 -0500

Bill Schwab wrote:
I am a long-time Smalltalk addict with a lot of Dolphin-based code.  I
would be completely happy were it not for what I see as a disturbing
trend of bloat, bugs, and licensing hassles from Microsoft.  Every OS
revision brings a round of "what did they break this time?"  I hate to
think what Vista would be like.

Dolphin on Wine is one possible solution, though I worry about how Wine
decides which bugs to emulate, the quality of their reverse engineering,
etc.

I assume that you are looking for a way to move to GNU/Linux or another Free UN*X-y OS.

Squeak's streams bother me.  IMHO

    'hello' readStream next:20

should raise an error; #nextAvailable: offers a way to "safely" get
truncated results.  I care because I do a lot of sometimes very strict
parsing, and want to know ASAP when something is not as expected.

Would be hard to change without reopening a Smalltalk standardization process.

Re GNU, licensing is of some concern.  I have seen some
softening/clarification of the terms to favor proprietary software. There are things I am willing to give away, but I would be crazy to open
everything, so I need a system that will accommodate internal production
use as well as commercial deployment.  For now, let's assume things are
ok, though comments are welcome.

Probably; see Section 1.5 "Licensing of GNU Smalltalk" in the current manual. It's not so much "favoring" proprietary software as allowing for the possibility of its existence.

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> But if somebody
> wants to *add* something more, I'm all good with that and (lo and
> behold) RMS happens to desire that more than having a great headless
> Smalltalk!

Wha-what's going on here?

--
;;; Stephen Compall ** http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog **
But you know how reluctant paranormal phenomena are to reveal