[Help-smalltalk] Re: [feature] <import: PoolDict> for namespaces

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [feature] <import: PoolDict> for namespaces
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 23:04:27 -0700

Issue status update for http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/217 Post a follow up: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/comments/add/217

Project:      GNU Smalltalk
Version:      <none>
Component:    VM
Category:     feature requests
(21.08 KB)

In practice, that would mean that A.Var would not refer to a Var
defined in a shared pool of A.

I consider this to be a feature, not just an optimization.  My template
is the import feature in Common Lisp -- because GST namespaces don't
distinguish between external and internal symbols, I thought it best to
apply the most likely strategy globally for pools.

However I am not sure that it's good to not make the import work for
classes defined in a subspace, because that means that I cannot just
take a class defined in A and wrap it into /Namespace current: B [ ]/
to move it into A.B. Can you convince me otherwise?

I am not sure what you mean.  The namespace-pool-add happens strictly
when a namespace is visited, so all namespaces added by the
class-containing-namespace walk will also have their pools added.  For
example:

"assuming A and B are undefined"
Namespace current: A [
Namespace current: B [