Re: [Help-smalltalk] [bug] intmath.st check fails

From: Stephen Woolerton
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [bug] intmath.st check fails
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:30:30 +1300

S.J.Chun wrote:
For, if I built gst with gmp support, this problem does not appear.
Thanks for the note... given GMP is a numeric optimizer, I tried reducing the number of iterations to see if it was just a timing thing and got the following results (on OS X without GMP)

up to 7 iterations - pretty much straightaway
7 iterations  - 9 secs
8 iterations  - 2 minutes 50 secs
9 iterations  - approx 50 minutes

CPU: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

So yes the test works.. no wonder I've never seen it finish until now! Maybe that test should have a note by it to the effect that if you don't have GMP loaded, forget it.

For context, the loop referred to is at the end of intMath.st and 9 iterations is what is shipped in the test ...

Eval [
    g := PiSeries new.
    9 timesRepeat: [ g := g accelerate ].
    pi := g peek.