[Help-smalltalk] [task] GST Compiling is Too Slow

From: Canol Gökel
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] [task] GST Compiling is Too Slow
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:44:04 -0700

Issue status update for http://smalltalk.gnu.org/node/273 Post a follow up: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/comments/add/273

Project:      GNU Smalltalk
Version:      <none>
Component:    Build
Category:     tasks

It takes too long to compile GST from source. Here are some results for
GST 3.1:

(On Windows)
./configure: ~33 minutes
make: ~27 minutes until giving an error, it takes usually more than
configuring so the total compilation will take over 1 hour.

And here are Tcl compiling times for comparison:

(On Windows)
./configure: ~4 minutes
make: ~8 minutes

This leads to some disadvantages when doing bug report because if
something gives an error during compiling process; I report the bug,
get an advice from someone and try compiling again. But I can try this
compiling only once in a day because I don't have enough time to test
it twice a day (it needs more than 2 hours of free time). Also to get
an error after waiting for one hour is pretty annoying :)

In every release it gets little slower, I guess after 3.2 I will do
"./configure" one day and leave "make" to the next day :)

I don't know if it is possible but is there a way to put an alert sound
when "./configure" or "make" is done, so that I can understand when the
process is done while concentrated on some other stuff? Maybe an
--alert-when-done flag or something?