[Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk, GTK and threads

From: Dmitry Matveev
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk, GTK and threads
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:07:50 +0400

Hello all!

Thanks authors for great idea to implement Smalltalk as scripting language!
GTK+ binding makes GNU Smalltalk very interesting for writing desktop
applications.

I've used GTK with pure C. There were one interesting moment: all
calls to gtk library should be done from one (main) thread. If the
programmer want to call gtk functions from separate threads, he should
use gdk_threads_enter()/gdk_threads_leave() or idle functions.

Could anybody please explain me, does this "problem" exist in GNU Smalltalk?
As far as I understand that there is "Process" class to implement
threads. Can I call GTK functions (for example, to update a text in a
single window) from separate Process'es? If no, what should I do?

Also, is the GTK binding for Windows planned? or GTK package is
available in Linux (Unix) versions only??

Thanks,
with best regards,
Dmitry Matveev

P.S. Excuse me for my ugly English, I am from Russia :)