[Help-smalltalk] External CSS files on Iliad. A problem with symlinks.

From: Bèrto ëd Sèra
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] External CSS files on Iliad. A problem with symlinks.
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 01:32:40 +0300

Hi!
I'm trying to use an external CSS stylesheet on Iliad. This would make
things much easier with the designers that help the project, as they
could simply edit their stuff as they usually do.

I'm trying to adapt a basic code snippet published by Joachim Jaeckel
at
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/joe/first-steps-iliad-web-development-gnu-smalltalk-and-iliad
(very useful guide! Thanks :)

I soon found out that the message had changed, because the css wasn't
showing up in the page source code, so I modified it like this, and I
had the stylesheet in the page.

    updatePage: aPage [
      <category: 'building'>
      super updatePage: aPage.
      aPage head title: 'Ambaradan - Hello World application!'.
      aPage head stylesheet href: '/stylesheets/ambaradan.css'.
    ]

Anyway, the sheet was empty, and trying to open it with firebug I got
a "Failed to load source for:
http://localhost:3000/stylesheets/ambaradan.css"; message.

After a bit of hunting I realized that my Public directory was NOT
containing the actual .css, but just a symlink to it, as I had reused
part of the make_packages.sh script in the Iliad distro, which does a
symlink.

Symlinked .ccs do not appear to work, so now I modified my
make_packages.sh script to do a

if [ -d More/UI ]; then
        for i in `find More/UI/stylesheets -type f | grep -v '\.svn'`
                do
                echo "copying $i to Public..."
                        cp $i Public/stylesheets/
        done
        for i in `find More/UI/images -type f | grep -v '\.svn'`
                do
                echo "copying $i to Public..."
                        cp $i Public/images/
        done
        for i in `find More/UI/javascripts -type f | grep -v '\.svn'`
                do
                echo "copying $i to Public..."
                        cp $i Public/javascripts/
        done
fi

And at this point I do have working ccs. I suppose people trying to
use the iliad-ui.css will run into the same problem, so I published
what I found.

Berto