[Help-smalltalk] Re: What's wrong with this script??

From: ZuLuuuuuu
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: What's wrong with this script??
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:49:48 -0800 (PST)

Rick Flower wrote:

> I can't speak for what versions support which type (old,new) but I do know
> that if you read the "computer programming using GNU smalltalk" book that
> was released last year, they push the new style format (see page 61)..
> I believe this is mostly GST specific for the most part.. I don't think
> any
> of the other ST players (Cincom, Pharoah, Squeak,etc) have one particular
> standard they follow -- there are conversion tools to move between the
> dialects..

Actually, I didn't want to suggest one style over another when writing that
chapter. I just wanted to teach the latest style (and, AFAIK, the
recommended style by Paolo). There are a whole lot of discussions about this
new syntax on archive of the mailing list which you can reach here:

http://n4.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?query=new+syntax&days=0&node=1290346

I am myself planning to go through the old messages to get a better
understanding of the differences between the two syntax and to learn whether
there are still any reasons to use the old syntax.