Fwd: [Help-smalltalk] More news from Randa

From: Bèrto ëd Sèra
Subject: Fwd: [Help-smalltalk] More news from Randa
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 02:24:48 +0300

Oops! I hit the wrong reply button and sent the reply to Holger only,
as always... one important thing I have to add is that the site I gave
you is going to work with FF3.5 or higher, and *probably* also with
Opera. Cross-browser compatibility is not our top priority at the
moment.
Berto

Hi Holger!

I'll be home tomorrow night (still travelling) and will actually
upload the files on http://kde-files.org/

The UI interface is still missing, so what I can show you at the
moment (in terms of screenshots) is not very good-looking, and the
files are simply too huge to be useful. It's 25k couples (so 50K
words/file) in botanics * 8 languages, which are
1) Standard Chinese
2) Portuguese
3) Japanese
4) French
5) English
6) Spanish
7) Czech
8) Arabic

So what you get from the resulting matrix is 56 Parley files (each
with ~50K words, which actually makes it 2.800.000 words).

The object of our experiment was in making a solid export in KVTML2
(which we amazingly managed to achieve notwithstanding the large
amount of circulating beer), now we have to deliver a UI that will
allow people to divide such a big blob into lessons by means of a
taxonomy. You can have a first rough idea of what it will look like
at:
http://www.voxhumanitatis.net/ambaradan   (try "Fruit" as a search
target and dive around happily).

The final understanding we had with Frederick is that we can have
people use Iliad to edit material/prepare lessons etc, then I'll have
a cron job making fresh exports and updating kde-files.org with the
result, any time stuff is added/modified. We also had some loose idea
about having some sort of plasmoid that will allow to use this
interface from a KDE desktop, but this is going to come last on my
roadmap, as the first thing is to deliver really usable files. We were
quite happy to see that Parley can actually swallow THAT many words
and remain a very good performer.

I also need to add support for cases when you need more than two
languages (say you learn Chinese and you want a latin based Pinyin
script, so you know how to actually input it with SCIM, and maybe also
compare Traditional vs Simplified). So I'll need to take a week or so
to imagine an interface that while being powerful enough to deliver
these services will remain easy for everybody else.

I'm going to write a clear description of what's going on while I fly
back home, so I can send it to you asap. We made no experiment with
Marble, because first of all I have to collect the data they need,
which is going to take a month or so. With them so far we just decided
how to identify objects.

Berto

On 25 May 2010 10:48, Holger Hans Peter Freyther <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/25/2010 02:21 AM, Bèrto ëd Sèra wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> the demo was successful, we exported the first ~800k words for KDE
>> Parley in ~5 minutes (though I still need to make a user friendly
>> interface for this thing), next stop is geonames for Marble. In the
>> meantime, there is an interest from Qt people to develop gst bindings
>> for Qt, mostly for phone apps, I'll have more on this subject in a
>> week or so. In the meantime we are thinking forward iliad based
>> (swazoo served) plasmoids.
>
> Hi,
>
> is your script available somewhere? or do you have some screenshots of
> the shell or any such thing? I would like to place a blogpost on
> planet.kde.org for that.

Constitution du 24 juin 1793 - Article 35. - Quand le gouvernement
viole les droits du peuple, l'insurrection est, pour le peuple et pour
chaque portion du peuple, le plus sacré des droits et le plus
indispensable des devoirs.

--