Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:18:43 +0100

Le lundi 14 mars 2011 à 14:12 -0700, ZuLuuuuuu a écrit :
> I am pretty foreign for such js web development frameworks but wanted to fire
> a few questions right away:
>
>  - As far as I understand, it is only for client-side programming so it is
> not a replacement for Iliad which was for server-side programming? In fact
> it seems like a complementary technology for a web framework like Iliad, is
> that true?

Yes, that's true, Jtalk is for the client-side.

The truth is that I don't know or even if Jtalk will change Iliad. Sure
that could be great to make them work together, but here I would have to
deal with our existing apps, written in Iliad. Also, would people be
happy about it?

>  - How can we (or can we (or should we)) bring together two applications
> written in Iliad and Jtalk? If yes, a hello world example which uses two
> frameworks together would be great.

That's a good question. I don't know yet how exactly the server-side
would look like. A stateless server side serving dynamic pages in Jtalk
with a way to discuss with the server from Jtalk, like JSON data
exchanges, could be a good idea.

>  - For example, when I think of the forum I wrote, the whole application
> except for the persistency part could be written in Jtalk? Can I somehow mix
> it? If yes, which parts of the forum should be written in Jtalk and which
> parts in Iliad (from parts I mean UI, persistancy etc.)?

I think that the entire user interface can be written in Jtalk. Now you
would still need the server for the database, user identification, etc.

Cheers,
Nico