Re: [Help-smalltalk] My "forks" of GNU projects to test Automake-NG

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] My "forks" of GNU projects to test Automake-NG
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:14:05 +0200

Hi Paolo.

On 08/20/2012 09:16 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 19/08/2012 14:01, Stefano Lattarini ha scritto:
>>> E.g. would most of your changes work with the normal automake?
>>>
>> Some yes, some no.  If you want, I can separate my patch into a
>> "preparatory cleanup" that still works with mainline Automake (and
>> can thus go in the master branch of the Smalltalk repo), and a
>> further patch on the top of that which ports the build system to
>> Automake-NG (that should go only into the experimental branch I
>> suggested above).
>
> Yes, please do so.

Will do in a follow-up patch series, soon enough.

> I'm more than happy to apply the first part, and it
> would help me evaluate the amount of incompatible changes (I'm not sure
> I liked the "problems" with XYZ_LDFLAGS macros;

They are not "problems" IMO; simply, some checks has been tightened when
they have been moved from Automake runtime to GNU make runtime.  Since
this enhanced warnings can be very easily silenced (with the help of
the AM_VARTYPOS_WHITELIST special variable) or avoided (renaming an
offending 'FOO_LDFLAGS' variable to, say, 'FOO-LDFLAGS'), I don't see
any issue here.

> it reminds me of horrible experiences with early 2.5x versions of
> Autoconf).
>
> Paolo

Regards,
  Stefano