Re: Simple Program Won't Run

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: Re: Simple Program Won't Run
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 12:34:18 -0500

bill-auger writes:

> it does conform to the spec though - the REPL syntax is exactly
> the same as a static file - the dot is not a statement
> terminator as with C-like languages - it is a statement
> separator, which means it is optional, where there is only one
> single statement

Classic smalltalk has both seperator "." and terminator "!".
GST 3.0 syntax tries to do away the terminator "!" by using [] around
method bodies. The behavior of the gst REPL is the compromise
between the two. I like that because it is pactical, unlike eg. erlang
REPL that always demands a terminator. However, it is not the same with
a fileIn syntax; you cannot be the same with 2 distinct syntaxs at the
same time.

Derek