help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] Unicode files ?

From: Dario Teixeira
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] Unicode files ?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:36:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> An afterthought, and to get back to the original problem: The fact
> that source-highlight users didn't stumble upon the unicode problem
> earlier may be that AFAIK for source-highlight, a string from a source
> file in means the same string out, without doing much more than pre-
> and suffixing it with the appropriate tags (I'm oversimplifying here,
> but that's my "good enough" mental model of how it works).
> So, why does the OP experience this issue? As the output is HTML, may
> it be that the HTML is simply bearing the wrong encoding in <head>? If
> so, perhaps this can be fixed w/o much hassle around making
> source-highlight Unicode capable? (Not a solution for eternity, though.)

Actually, this is a consequence of what we've been discussing concerning
the handling of variable-length encodings: as long as your processing is
limited to string concatenation and copying, then the actual encoding is
irrelevant.  Variable-length encoding is only a factor if you need to
do things such as strlen, extracting substrings, or accessing a character
at position N.

Nevertheless, I would presume that Source-highlight's processing is not
limited to copies/concatenations, and therefore it may require encoding
awareness.  Is this true?

Cheers,
Dario Teixeira