help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] STOW

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] STOW
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 19:37:41 +0100

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:17:07PM +0300, address@hidden wrote:
> Please, help !
> sudo make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/my_cinelerra/
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/dell/Downloads/CNR/sborky/my_cinelerra/quicktime'
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/dell/Downloads/CNR/sborky/my_cinelerra/quicktime'
> test -z "/usr/local/stow/my_cinelerra//lib" || /bin/mkdir -p
> "/usr/local/stow/my_cinelerra//lib"
>  /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c
> libquicktimecve.la '/usr/local/stow/my_cinelerra//lib'
> libtool: install: error: cannot install `libquicktimecve.la' to a directory
> not ending in /usr/local/lib
> make[3]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/dell/Downloads/CNR/sborky/my_cinelerra/quicktime'
> make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/dell/Downloads/CNR/sborky/my_cinelerra/quicktime'
> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/dell/Downloads/CNR/sborky/my_cinelerra/quicktime'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> address@hidden:~/Downloads/CNR/sborky/my_cinelerra$

> sudo make install DESTDIR=/usr/local/stow/cinelerracve

DESTDIR is not the correct way to install into Stow package
directories, because it prepends the given value to the path.  So
you'd end up with paths such as

  /usr/local/stow/cinelerracve/usr/local/include/mpeg3/libmpeg3.h

Instead you should aim for paths such as

  /usr/local/stow/cinelerracve/include/mpeg3/libmpeg3.h

> sudo stow -d /usr/local/stow -t / cinelerracve

Using / as the target is risky and not recommended.  A more sensible
target would be /usr/local or /opt.

> WARNING! stowing cinelerracve would cause conflicts:
>   * existing target is neither a link nor a directory:
> usr/local/include/mpeg3/libmpeg3.h
>   * existing target is neither a link nor a directory:
> usr/local/include/mpeg3/mpeg3private.h

[snipped]

Well, clearly Stow is telling you that it wants to install to
/usr/local/include/mpeg3/libmpeg3.h etc. but that it can't, because
those files already exist, and it correctly refuses to overwrite
existing files which it doesn't own, since this would result in data
loss.  So you have to ask yourself, why are they already there?  I'm
guessing probably due to a previous `make install' invocation.