help-tar

[Help-tar] tar -ch and Unresolvable Symlinks

From: Simon Wilkinson
Subject: [Help-tar] tar -ch and Unresolvable Symlinks
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:33:36 +0100

Dear GNU 'tar' Help,

I would like to copy a directory structure that contains symbolic links, some of which are links to files elsewhere and others are dummy links, e.g. reference information, e.g.

  file1 -> /<another_path>/file1
  date -> "Thursday 24th June 2004"

When I use the '-h' option to create an archive, 'file1' becomes the real file however 'date' disappears (with an error message).

Is there a way to retain the symlinks that cannot be resolved? (I need to use the '-h' option in order to create a relocateable fileset.)

Regards,

Simon W.