help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Re: multivolume extract from non-first archive

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Re: multivolume extract from non-first archive
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:26:27 +0300

Sam George <address@hidden> ha escrit:

> After examing the output in my message perhaps you are
> misinterpreting the verbose output from tar as part of the command
> line?

Oh, yes, indeed.  Nevertheless, the first two messages:

> tar: /home/share/D60/725CANON/CRW_2526.CRW: Cannot extract -- file is
> continued from another volume
> tar: Skipping to next header

are perfectly in order: they indicate that tar is skipping the partial
member.  The fact that it does not find any subsequent member indicates
that CRW_2526.CRW is continued on volumes 147 and 148.  To compare,
here's what I get running tar-1.16.1 on one of my multivolume backups:

$ tar -xMv $(seq -f"--file=arc/b%g.tar" -s' ' 157 292)
./radwtmp
tar: ./radwtmp: Cannot extract -- file is continued from another volume
tar: Skipping to next header
./TAGS
./build.emris
$ ls
TAGS  build.emris

Here, the file `radwtmp' was occupying volumes 157-291 and, partially
292.  It was therefore skipped.  Other two files were found on vol. 292
and were extracted.

Please, verify whether the file in question spans all three volumes.

> Do you think that my use of the POSIX format for multi-volume archives
> might be causing problems?

No, I don't think so.

Regards,
Sergey