help-tar

[Help-tar] Re: Tar same data - different archive

From: Sergey Naumov
Subject: [Help-tar] Re: Tar same data - different archive
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:21:02 +0400

It seems that I solved this issue by inspecting source code.
That was because mentioned number was checksum of tar header and there
was difference in uname and gname fields of tar header. For example,
if at one host sshd is installed, and not installed at another, so
there is group "sshd" only at one of them, and name of this group is
added to tar header only at one host.
Flag --numeric-owner solves this problem, but it is weird for me why
such a behavior enabled by default.