help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] How do I create a tar file similar to a sample tar file?

From: Sean Ansari
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] How do I create a tar file similar to a sample tar file?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:11:01 -0800

Thanks. This is  a very helpful group.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be

trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking.

Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most

important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow

already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:50 AM, Sergey Poznyakoff <address@hidden> wrote:

Sean Ansari <address@hidden> ha escrit:

> 2- My other concern is the output associated with the file command;
> for tar.file I get: POSIX tar archive (GNU) and for
> N900PVPUCNC5_N900PSPTCNC5_N900PVPUCNC5_HOME.tar.md5 I get POSIX tar
> archive. Is there a difference between the GNU version vs. whatever is
> the default format?

The supported formats are described in detail here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_section/tar_68.html#SEC132

In particular, the "file" command reports as "POSIX tar archive" two
formats: ustar and posix.  So try recreating your archive with either
-Hustar or -Hposix option.

Regards,
Sergey