help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] --deterministic option?

From: Jérémy Bobbio
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] --deterministic option?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:07:05 +0200

Paul Eggert:
> Jakob Bohm wrote:
> >I would suggest (as a future feature) three
> >new determinism options:
>
> These all sound like nice suggestions.  Getting back to the original
> request, the biggest problem I see with it is the issue of file timestamps.
> Unfortunately, --mtime=debian/changelog loses useful information in the
> distribution.

Agreed. We list two solutions on our help page regarding the issue:
https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/TimestampsInTarball

The second method uses find+xargn+touch to “clamp” mtimes of files
created during the build to a predefined value while leaving the others
untouched.

I guess a `--clamp-mtime` (or a better name) option could also be
implemented in directly Tar with similar semantics.

--
Lunar                                .''`.
address@hidden                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism