Re: Colons in indices

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Colons in indices
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:13:23 +0300

> From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
> Date: 11 Apr 2001 10:39:53 +0200
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
> > > Date: 10 Apr 2001 20:32:56 +0200
> > >
> > >     foo::::bar:   The foo-bar node
> > >
> > > You need to hack makeinfo as well as Info mode, of course.
> >
> > Yes; and therein lies a difficulty...
>
> There is no need to scare people away by giving vague warnings.  It's
> fine if you can give a technical hint, otherwise please let people
> prodruce a patch.

Sorry for a vague wording; I didn't think it was vague when I wrote
that.  I also didn't want to scare people; ChangeLog's will show that
I did quite a few deep changes in both makeinfo and info.

Here's what I meant to say: any incompatible change, such as the one
which breaks previous versions of Info readers is IMHO not a good
idea, because people with old versions of Info readers will not be
able to read a manual produced with the new version of makeinfo.

In addition, the Info mode in Emacs uses regexps to extract the node
name from menu entries, and regexps don't lend themselves well to
quoting of the kind that's being proposed here.  So such a
modification, in addition to being incompatible, would mean a thorough
rewrite of parts of info.el.