Re: How do I set margins?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: How do I set margins?
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 10:39:48 -0400

    @iftex

\internalpagesizes{46\baselineskip}{6in}{-.25in}{-.25in}{\bindingoffset}{36pt}%
    @end iftex

I'm not sure it will work to do it in the document, you may have to
modify texinfo.tex.  In any case, you could try this:

@tex
\globaldefs = 1
\internalpagesizes{46\baselineskip}{6in}{-.25in}{-.25in}{\bindingoffset}{36pt}%
@end iftex

Oh, I just realized the 46\baselineskip will have to be increased too.
Probably to 10in?

I don't know how it could have arranged to rewrite itself onto autogen.texi.

    Too obvious.  :-)  I tried searching down the /usr/share tree for
    'texinfo.*' files:

Well, if all you're doing is running TeX, it would be findable by simply
seeing which texinfo.tex is read and then putting a \tracingall at the
beginning of it (for example).  In any case, you probably don't care.

    I think we're talking _preferences_

I don't disagree.

    my preference would never be for
    a 1-1/4" left margin and a 1/4" right margin.  ;-)

Indeed.  That isn't what happens by default, either.

    As such, it is very nice to have a little more control
    of the hard copy output.

You can control anything you want by modifying texinfo.tex.  If I start
down the path of adding Texinfo commands for physical formatting, I'll
end up with LaTeX, and I don't want to do that.

    For the time being, the master copy is in texinfo format, tho
    it will change to docbook

Even more of a reason not to worry about physical formatting now, since
all the work will be thrown away :).
Worry about the content :).