Loosing my mind with indexes...

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Loosing my mind with indexes...
Date: 27 Jan 2002 14:16:11 +0100

I'm dead lost :(  I don't understand at all what happens...  All I can
tell you is that it is with texinfo.tex as included in the tarball
below.

I was trying to submit a bug report for some weird behavior, and as I
meant to strip the example down, I only managed to get more and more
weird behavior.

Anyway.  Run make in the tarball below, and see that the content of
the second chapter is just ignored (autotest.texi).  Another problem I
face is that if I inline autotest.texi in gnuprog2.texi then TeX just
hangs...  Something like:

/tmp/texinfo-tex-problem % make
texi2dvi -c gnuprog2.texi
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(/tmp/texinfo-tex-problem/gnuprog2.texi
(/tmp/texinfo-tex-problem/texinfo.tex
tables, conditionals, indexing, sectioning, toc, environments, defuns, macros,
cross references, (/home/akim/tex/sty/epsf.tex) localization,
and turning on texinfo input format.)
(/tmp/texinfo-tex-problem/autoconf.texi
Chapter 1 (gnuprog2.tmp)) Chapter 2 [1] [2])
*
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*
(Please type a command or say `\end')
*\end

address@hidden
! Undefined command address@hidden '.
@next ...age {Undefined command address@hidden @endthing '}
                                                  @else
@unmatchedenderror @...
<*> @end

? x
Output written on gnuprog2.dvi (2 pages, 628 bytes).
Transcript written on gnuprog2.log.
/home/akim/bin/texi2dvi: tex exited with bad status, quitting.
/home/akim/bin/texi2dvi: see gnuprog2.log for errors.
make: *** [all] Error 1