Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2

From: Joshua Daniel Franklin
Subject: Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 09:14:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> wrote:
>    > Sounds like a bug in the Cygwin/Microsoft port of GNU Emacs.
>
>    It does sound like a bug in something. However, I'm not invoking from
>    within GNU Emacs, just the standalone 'info' program from within bash.
>
> <Oh... > I have never met anyone who liked the standalone 'info'
> program.  I am surprised you are willing to support it.
>
> On the other hand, GNU Emacs Info is still, after 15 years, the most
> efficient and useful online help program going.  (Emacs Info provides
> for regular expression searches within a document.  HTML cannot
> provide this for a multi-page document because it does not distinguish
> between within-document references and out-of-document references.
> Also, Emacs provides a full working environment, which the standalone
> 'info' does not, although it is a part of the Unix shell-based
> integrated environment and you can get some useful features that way.)

Unfortunately, the GNU Emacs port for Cygwin is still alpha-quality,
see this thread:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-08/threads.html#00181

I'm sure they'd appreciate some help if you wanted to lend a hand.

I don't particularly like /usr/bin/info much, but it is there and should work.
Don't tell anyone, but a lot of time I end up looking at the /usr/info/* files
with 'grep' and 'less'. :)