Re: Creating Pointers with `makeinfo'

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Creating Pointers with `makeinfo'
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:54:23 +0000 (UTC)

   In the texinfo documentation under nodes there is a section titled
   "Creating Pointers with 'makeinfo'". But it does not explain how to do
   this.

Please take a look at the Texinfo manual that comes with any GNU
Texinfo version 4.  The node

    (texinfo)makeinfo Pointer Creation

tells you what to do.  (I think earlier versions of the manual also
tell you want to do info, but don't have any at hand to check.
Regardless, the current version is version 4.5, 4 February 2003, and
that is worth getting.)

Basically, what you do is this:

    ...  write a sectioning command, such as address@hidden' or address@hidden',
    on the line immediately following each truncated address@hidden' line
    (except that comment lines may intervene).

    ... follow the `Top' address@hidden' line with a line beginning with
    address@hidden' to mark the `Top' node in the file.

    ... write the name of each node (except for the `Top' node) in a
    menu that is one or more hierarchical levels above the node's
    hierarchical level.

Many people use this method.  However, I prefer to use the Texinfo
mode menu and node updating features that are described in

    (texinfo)Texinfo Mode

In particular, I frequently run `texinfo-all-menus-update' with a
prefix argument

     C-u C-c C-u C-a

to first create or update all nodes and then create or update all
menus.

This way, I don't have to write a menu even once; when I do try to
write a menu, I make too many mistakes.  Of course, when I work this
way, I do need to write node names (unless I use the
`texinfo-insert-node-lines' command, which I only use occasionally)

It is all a matter of what writing method you prefer.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden